Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Phoenix in the Summer... Ugh!


Phoenix isn't a place I would actually choose to go to in the summer, but the call to help family sent me here anyway.

Max's sister, Connie, had back surgery on August 29th so I left home August 24th to come help during her hospital stay and recovery. She had back surgery in late December too, so this is her second major back surgery in less than a year... no small task to recover from, physically or emotionally.

The picture here is Connie and her brother Max (my late husband) taken a few years ago at a play we attended in the Palm Spring area. Max's birthday was August 24th, which was a fitting day for me to leave... paying tribute to him through coming to take care of his beloved sister,

Along with Connie's husband, Bill, it is my job to help her in any way possible. You can pretty much sum my job description up as a "go-fer" or "slave" to her every whim. :-) She's getting up and around, with the aid of a walker (Max's walker) but needs to rest a lot while those muscles and nerves and incision heal.

She's actually doing quite well under the circumstances but going for 6 weeks without bending, twisting or lifting is a tall order. Her first follow up appointment with the surgeon is this coming Thursday, so we are all anxious for that day.

I took 3 days to drive down to Sun City, Arizona. I think every day since my arrival, up until today, has been 110 or more! As much as I enjoy the weather here in the winter, I detest this kind of incessant heat even more. I will take Wenatchee's 4 seasons any time... winter and all.

On the trip down, I particularly enjoyed the part of the drive through southern Utah. I'm anxious to get back there when I have time to actually go to Zion and Bryce... with camera in hand. Eventually I'd like to get back to the Grand Canyon as well.

I am also anxious to get back to Wenatchee to enjoy the beautiful Fall season, which is my absolute favorite.

That's all for now.

Stay tuned...
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment